Sunday, September 22, 2024

The Charlatans - Angelica (Demo Tape 1988)

 

 
THE CHARLATANS
Angelica (Demo Tape)
1988 Not On Label (Self Released)
 
Notes :
Obscure, hard to find, early The Charlatans demo tape.
Line up : Bez Ketley (vocals & guitar), Martin Blunt (bass), Rob Collins (hammond organ) and Jon Brookes (drums).
 
01. Angelica
02. Drowning
03. Nothing Left
 
link in comments 
 

7 comments:

ricky said...

https://mega.nz/file/0s5h2TwS#HrCxVwGk0hpKUAKloA1pMuvKGS92egmJcKveYoKO2F0

Gleb said...

Wah! Never heard of it! And where is Bez Ketley?

sambu said...

Woah! Can't wait to give this a listen - but I'm not sure it'll be the same without Tim Burgess.
Thanks, Ricky!

ricky said...

Bez was replaced by Tim, but before that they released one more tape, this time with two tracks: Heyteen & Days For The Young.
From this period, i have few live gigs, if anything is good, i will post it on the blog.

ricky said...

Heyteen is posted on youtube. Link here: https://youtu.be/1jBkiv-A_XU?si=5SxzejjyNG5kO6f7

sambu said...

Great, I'll check that out when I get home, thanks.
I saw the Heyteen demo tape when I was looking up the one you just posted. I suppose they must have all come from this collection by the band's manager:
https://bid.omegaauctions.co.uk/auction/lot/82-the-charlatans---demo-tapes/?lot=20886&sd=1#

sambu said...

As for this demo tape - I enjoyed it, but only the last track sounds anything like The Charlatans we know. And thank goodness they swapped Bez for Tim! Not that the singing is bad (it's probably actually better than Tim Burgess' haha), but the vocal style is very different and wouldn't really suit what followed.
The first two tracks are like they have crammed as many early-80s alternative styles in as they can. The opening bass playing and chiming guitar had me thinking of Southern Death Cult, but then it morphed into C86-style jangle pop, with a hint of Sonic Flower Groove and early Inspiral Carpets.
Thanks for sharing.